Amboise Tour des Minimes stones, mortars and facing of walls. Comparative study of the 1495-1496 account book, archeology research and petrographic analysis - Archive ouverte HAL Access content directly
Journal Articles Archeosciences, revue d'Archéométrie Year : 2017

Amboise Tour des Minimes stones, mortars and facing of walls. Comparative study of the 1495-1496 account book, archeology research and petrographic analysis

Pierres, mortiers et parements de la tour des Minimes au regard du compte de construction de 1495-1496, des investigations archéologiques et des analyses pétrographiques

(1) , (2) , (3) , (4)
1
2
3
4

Abstract

Charles VIII (1483-1498) construction period in the castle at Amboise took place from 1492 to 1498. In 1495-1496, an account book was written mainly about the well-preserved Tour des Minimes, a tower one could climb up on horseback. A comparative study of the building, along with the account book, cut stones (petrography and statistics), mortars (grain size distribution and lime) and the whitewash jointing, requires a specific methodology and a constant dialogue between architectural historians, geologists, and archaeologists. The research enables to identify the name of the stones and the technical vocabulary used at the end of the middle ages. Moreover, it proves that achief stone dresser probably worked on the tower, and that the building site was likely to have been split into several centresand workshops; and it also reveals the rhythm of work to have been intense, since for the tower only, more than 15m of vaulted masonry had been created. All this have been allowed thanks to workers with an empirical knowledge of materials, the high quality of the chosen materials and the remarkable implementation they did. It resulted in an outstanding genuine edifice in which four revolutions and a half climb around an openwork newel.
Le chantier de Charles VIII (1483-1498) au château d’Amboise se déroula entre 1492 et 1498. L’année 1495-1496 est documentée par un livre de compte concernant notamment la tour cavalière des Minimes, aujourd’hui bien conservée. L’étude croisée du bâti, du livre de compte, des pierres de taille (pétrographie et statistique), des mortiers (granulométrie et analyses de la chaux) et du badigeon recouvrant les joints a nécessité la mise en place d’une méthodologie précise, demandant de continuels échanges entre historiens de l’architecture, géologues et archéologues. Ces investigations permettent d’identifier les dénominations des pierres et le vocabulaire technique en usage à la fin du Moyen Âge. Mais bien au-delà, elles démontrent l’intervention probable d’un appareilleur, l’organisation du chantier régi en plusieurs pôles et ateliers, ainsi que son rythme très soutenu puisque, pour la seule tour, plus de 15 m de maçonneries voûtées furent élevées. Ce fut possible grâce à la connaissance empirique des matériaux qu’avaient les hommes œuvrant à la construction, à la qualité des matériaux employés et à la remarquable mise en œuvre qui en fut faite. Il en résulte un ouvrage hors du commun, d’une rare audace où quatre révolutions et demie de voûtes d’ogives montent autour d’un noyau creux
Fichier principal
Vignette du fichier
archeosciences-4868.pdf (1.5 Mo) Télécharger le fichier
Origin : Publisher files allowed on an open archive

Dates and versions

halshs-01777896 , version 1 (11-06-2021)

Identifiers

Cite

Lucie Gaugain, Jean-Gabriel Bréhéret, Jean-Michel Mechling, Daniel Prigent. Pierres, mortiers et parements de la tour des Minimes au regard du compte de construction de 1495-1496, des investigations archéologiques et des analyses pétrographiques. Archeosciences, revue d'Archéométrie, 2017, 41 (1), pp.25-43. ⟨10.4000/archeosciences.4868⟩. ⟨halshs-01777896⟩
121 View
54 Download

Altmetric

Share

Gmail Facebook Twitter LinkedIn More